Tuesday, December 20, 2005

This morning and grub

This morning I woke up at 3am, doing morning activity(you know what must I do) and turn the computer on. yesterday I said to my friends(and also sister perhaps) Mbak nanha that I want to write a book, and she just simply said, "Come on boy, if you have a dream try to realize it now, not just dreaming". simple but......

That's why I'm installing Mandriva Linux 2006(again) on my computer. yes, I said again because yesterday I have install it but I choose upgrade(from mandriva 2005 LE). I just feel not getting a complete system. beside that I want to erase my blankOn linux because I rarely using it and I can get a bigger space for Mandriva(40 Gigs have no meaning now) FYI, there are 2 major operating system on my computer, Windows (2000) and linux, on the linux side I have Fedora Core 3, Fedora Core 4, and mandriva Linux 2006(before I install mandriva 2006, I have mandriva 2005 LE and BlankON).

The problem simply appear when I boot my system after mandriva installation finished. I told mandiva installer to skip bootloader installation(the reason is I have my lovely GRUB reside on the MBR and I didn't want mandriva to erase it and change it with lilo, for me lilo is sucks, he he he, no offense guys, it just a matter of choice). but......... eng ing eng..... my grub is broken, it direct me to the grub command line. Damn! I really have no idea on what to do on it. all the partition is unmounted except the mandriva partition. typing kernel bla bla bla, initrd bla bla bla but damn! again just getting kernel panic. remembering my grub configuration and read /boot/grub/menu.1st.example

Trying :
grub > root (hd0,0)
grub > rootnoverify
grub > chainloader +1

And......Alhamdulillah I can enter my windows 2000 system. Nice guys. I remember that I have a local copy of TLDP on my harddrive I'm searching Grub and.....

Linux+Win9x+Grub HOWTO said "rootnoverify tells GRUB to boot from the Windows partition, but not to attempt to mount it, and chainloader +1 tells GRUB to chain to Windows' bootloader which will start Windows"

Actually I'm thinking about installing mandriva's lilo on my computer but.....no. It's time go dig into grup, tonight of course. Just that for this morning. I have some task on Management Information System Couse. Have A nice hack guys!

No comments: